Thursday, June 19, 2008

Canteen, June 19, 2008.

A friend and I were trying to grab a quick bite before making an 8pm art performance. Canteen is just down the block from his apartment and suggested we go for a quick dinner. I have read about Canteen and wanted to give it a try. The restaurant is converted from an old diner. There are four small booths and six or so seats and the counter. There is one waitress and three cooks in a tiny kitchen behind the counter. It is a small and very neatly run operation with 3 or 4 seatings each night and a limited menu.

We started with an amuse bouche of confit pheasant with apricot marmalade and a warm piece of buttery brioche. Delicious. A great way to start the meal. For appetizers I ordered the butter lettuces with pickled rhubarb, celery and goat cheese with a light vinegarette. I was craving a salad and this was exactly what I wanted; something simple with a twist. I really liked the tartness of the rhubarb with the sweetness of the lettuce and creamy goat cheese. My friend ordered the corned beef style tongue with pickled shallots and persillade. I had never eaten tongue before, but tried it and thought it was good. The pickled shallots were what really made the dish for me, adding a great tangy flavor and texture. For our entree, we shared the poisson served with bitter greens, an orange marmalade and bacon. The quail was perfectly cooked and we were served the whole bird which was perfect to share. The bitterness of the greens was a nice contrast to the sweetness of the orange sauce and the fatty and smokiness of the bacon. A delicious dish. For dessert we shared the lemon fritters. These little delicious morsels were very memorable and potentially addictive. Essentially, they were lemon curd battered and fried, dusted with powered sugar and served with slivers of candied fennel. AMAZING! I want to eat them again and again... and we were trying to figure out how they made them. Did they freeze the lemon curd before battering? However they did it, these fritters are the best dessert I've had out at a restaurant in a long time.

The service was great. Our waitress was relaxed and fun and very helpful. The meal, without drinks, was $60 with tax and tip. I've heard a few mixed reviews of Canteen, but I would definitely go back based on this experience.

No comments: